12 Best Fillet Knife for Saltwater Fish 2021
If you have ever purchased saltwater seafood, you know that it is too pricey that losing even a bite would literally hurt.
In that regard, you want to get the best fillet knife for saltwater fish to help you get the most out of your catch.
As the name suggests, this knife is designed to withstand the unforgiving nature of saltwater. Read on if you would like to know how to select one.
- 12 Best Fillet Knife for Saltwater Fish 2021
- Awesome Saltwater Fillet Knifes: Comparison List
- The Best Fillet Knife For Saltwater Fish
- 1. Mercer Culinary M23860 Fillet Knife
- 2. American Angler PRO Electric Knife
- 3. KershawCleanwater 9-In Fillet Knife
- 4. Buck 0220BLS Knives Silver Creek Folding Fishing Knife
- 5. Victorinox Swiss Army Boning Knife
- 6. Morakniv Fishing Fillet Knife
- 7. Rapala Electric Fillet Knife
- 8. Rada Cutlery Fillet Knife
- 9. Rapala4 Soft Grip Fillet Knife
- 10. DALSTRONG Boning Knife-Gladiator Series
- 11. Bubba 9 Inch Flex Fillet Knife
- 12. Dexter P94812 Fillet Knife
- How to Choose a Fillet Knife for Saltwater Fish
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Best Overall Choice
- Final Thoughts
Awesome Saltwater Fillet Knifes: Comparison List
Have you got only a few seconds to spare in research? Here’s a brief list you can conveniently refer to.
13 x 4 x 1 inches
14 x 5.5 x 3.8 inches
5 x 5 x 5 inches
0.4 x 0.4 x 0.4 inches
11.4 x 1.4 x 0.8 inches
14 x 5 x 1 inches
16 x 7 x 3 inches
17.5 x 5 x 2.5 inches
13 x 0.2 x 2 inches
17.5 x 4 x 1.4 inches
19 x 6 x 1 inches
15.3 x 2.5 x 1 inches
The Best Fillet Knife For Saltwater Fish
1. Mercer Culinary M23860 Fillet Knife
2. American Angler PRO Electric Knife
When you want to fillet more yet spend less time, the American Angler PRO electric fillet knife seems like a good idea. This knife uses 110V motor hence said to have more power.
The stainless steel blade is alleged to be strong and corrosion resistant. Moreover, the knife is marketed as compatible with most American Angler blade replacements.
3. KershawCleanwater 9-In Fillet Knife
A non-slip handle on this knife for is likely to provide a secure grip when filleting. In addition, a sheath is included for safe storage and carrying.
The manufacturer claims that the knife is resistant to corrosion since it is made of stainless steel. Some customers have reported that the blade rusted after the first use.
4. Buck 0220BLS Knives Silver Creek Folding Fishing Knife
In case you have been searching for a sharp knife, you can try out the Buck 0220BLS knife. The blade is said to be sharp and retains its edge for a long time.
The knife can be folded for safe storage. There is a lanyard attached to the handle that you can use to hang for easy reach.
5. Victorinox Swiss Army Boning Knife
As the name suggests, this is a knife designed for boning. The tip is pointed and the edge is straight plus sharp for clean cuts as you fillet your fish.
Even with wet hands, you can still this knife. The handle is said to be non-slip making it seem like a good choice for filleting.
6. Morakniv Fishing Fillet Knife
Morakniv has a plastic sheath for their knife that is slotted. The slots are said to help prevent bad odor from accumulating by allowing sufficient air circulation.
The knife has a stainless steel blade that is supposed to be strong. But customers have reported that the blade snaps easily.
7. Rapala Electric Fillet Knife
Rapala states that their fillet knife is two times faster than other electric knives in the market. This may be attributed to the 110V motor used with this knife.
The length of the power cord is said to be sufficient for working. However, some customers say that the switch on the knife is defective.
8. Rada Cutlery Fillet Knife
Some customers have reported that the knife’s blade is flexible. As such, it works well with the fish and causes no damage on the flesh.
The sharp edge of the knife is said to last for a long time. So the frequent sharpening is unnecessary and you are likely to work efficiently.
9. Rapala4 Soft Grip Fillet Knife
When you need to fillet many fish, your hand can get tired. Try out this Rapala4 knife with a soft molded handle that is said to be comfortable.
Rapala provides a sharpener with their knife. In addition, there is a black sheath for safe storage.
10. DALSTRONG Boning Knife-Gladiator Series
With a tapered design, this knife seems suitable for filleting. The knife is said to remove meat from the skin without damage.
As for durability, you can count on this knife as the blade is alleged to resist wear. But you may have to sharpen it frequently as it loses edge fast.
11. Bubba 9 Inch Flex Fillet Knife
Do away with rust and corrosion. Try out the Bubba Flex fillet knife that is Ti-Nitride coated for durability plus corrosion resistance.
The thin blade of this knife is said to be good for filleting. Unfortunately, some customers reported that it snapped under little pressure.
12. Dexter P94812 Fillet Knife
Using high carbon steel to make this knife’s blade is likely to enhance its durability. In addition, the knife is said to have a non-slip handle for control.
The blade on this knife is narrow which seems like a good shape for filleting. But customers say, it is stiff and causes damage to the flesh.
How to Choose a Fillet Knife for Saltwater Fish
You want to consider a few things prior to purchasing your fillet knife. Here are several tips that will help you make the right decision.
- For obvious reasons, choose a knife made from rust-resistant material such as stainless steel or high carbon steel.
- Ensure that the knife’s handle is comfortable and of good grip. Traditional wood and rubber are some of the materials to consider when it comes to handles.
- Small knives work for small fish and vice versa.
- Get an electric knife if you want a faster job. Manual knives are slower and their cuts are not as precise.
- Go for a thinner blade because they tend to do a better job at removing bones.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following answered questions may help you get a clearer idea on this topic.
What is the best knife to use for fish?
That would be the fillet knife because it is designed to cut fish and remove bones.
What is the difference between a fillet knife and a boning knife?
A fillet knife is mostly used to remove skin and bones from meat while a boning knife is predominantly used to remove bones from meat.
Best Overall Choice
Mercer Culinary M23860 Fillet Knife is our preferred saltwater fillet knife. It has a powerful blade which is quite reliable. We also love its ergonomic handle.
It is important to determine your needs before purchasing a filleting knife.Ensure that you follow all the tips we have discussed above to get the right product.
There is no reason why you should have trouble filleting your fish with this guide at hand.